FOOD SAFETY: Chief Executive of the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) has warned food businesses to be extra vigilant regarding food safety, especially in the busy run up to Christmas.
Prof. Alan Reilly made the comments after noting what he called the 'continuing high level of enforcement orders being served on businesses' by the FSAI.
A total of 121 orders have been served so far this year in comparison with last year's overall total of 109.
"There can be no excuse for putting consumers’ health at risk through negligent practices. It's of particular importance over the coming weeks that food businesses properly prepare for the lead up to Christmas and ensure that they can cope safely with the increased volumes of food they may supply,” stated Prof. Reilly.
October saw a total of 11 enforcement orders served on Irish premises, including nine closure orders and two prohibition orders for breaches of food safety legislation.
All of the orders were issued by environmental health officers in the Health Service Executive (HSE).
Four Closure Orders were served under the FSAI Act, 1998 on:
• Good World Restaurant, 18 Great George’s Street South, Dublin 2
• The Parish Pump (public house), Rosbercon, New Ross, Wexford
• Tasty Chinese Take Away, The Square, Dromcollogher, Limerick
• Eurospar (supermarket) (Closed area: bakery and delicatessen counter), Skerries Point Shopping Centre, Skerries, Co. Dublin
Five Closure Orders were served under the EC (Official Control of Foodstuffs) Regulations, 2010 on:
• Oriental Kitchen Ltd (restaurant), Unit 5, Strand Centre, Strand Road, Portmarnock, Co. Dublin
• Beriozka (grocery) (Closed Activities: 1. All handling & sale of raw meat products ex. Pre-packaged raw & cooked meat products. 2. All preparation & cooking of burgers & preparation of ready-to-eat foodstuffs. 3. Sale of products not supplied by an approved supplier), Bellefield Road, Enniscorthy, Wexford
• Tom’s Bakery, Unit 3, Knocknabohilly Industrial Estate, Farmlane, Kinsale, Cork
• The Village Takeaway, Kill, Waterford
• Turkuaz Turkishk (restaurant), 36 Washington Street, Cork
One Prohibition Order was served under the FSAI Act, 1998:
• John Doyles Bar, 160 Phibsborough Road, Phibsborough, Dublin 7
One Prohibition Order was served under the EC (Official Control of Foodstuffs) Regulations, 2010 on:
• Gilligan’s Butcher Shop, Old Church Street, Manorhamilton, Leitrim
A successful prosecution was carried out by the HSE against Dillingers Restaurant Limited, 47 Ranelagh, Ranelagh, Dublin 6.
My Purple Chair
The My Purple Chair title was born from my favourite place to sit and think about what's happening in the world. It's old but comfortable. So i suppose it's a bit like myself!